So I never thought I’d say this.
I’ve been on a lettuce hating kick lately.
Who knew I’d ever feel BORED of my usual salads? Since this fateful day has arrived, I tried to plan my grocery shopping this week to include some different salad ingredients. I even left my precious lettuce behind.
First up on the new salad making kick?
Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpea Salad
Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tomato, sliced into wedges
- Half a cauliflower, cut into florets
- Spices: Parsley, ground pepper, a teeny bit of salt, onion powder, and basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix the chickpeas, tomato, parsley, lemon juice, and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl. This will be your marinade.
3. Place the chopped cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some extra olive oil, and season to taste with ground pepper, onion powder, and basil.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes, maybe 25, until the cauliflower is tender and browning and crispy!
5. Add the cauliflower to the marinade mixture, and toss gently to combine.
I was all excited to have this for dinner on Monday night, but when I tasted it I was a little disappointed. It didn’t taste bad, but did taste kind of bland. At this point, I added a teeny bit of salt, a little sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, and some more lemon juice than I originally added. That did the trick!
I also had this for lunch at work yesterday. I also must say that this tasted better on day two! Perhaps because it had longer to marinate. The flavoring just seemed stronger to me.
Anyone else a fan of leaving lettuce behind? What’s your favorite way to enjoy a lettuce-less salad?
Off to sub another class this week – Interval Training!