I highly recommend against marking this post as read. Do you guys do that to my posts? I am SO guilty of doing that to so many blogs in my Google Reader. Typically if I find myself “marking as read” over and over, I will try to remove that blog from my Reader list to keep it manageable.
But I know you guys don’t do that to me. And for all you readers with a sweet tooth, you’re welcome for this one.
I didn’t even try to make a healthy version of these. And I’m not really sorry about it because there are just some times where a healthier version just won’t do.
Apple Blondies with Brown Sugar Frosting
Recipe inspired from my Bars & Squares cookbook
For the Blondie…
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped and peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the Brown Sugar Frosting…
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectionery sugar
- Dash apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla (all from blondie ingredients) in a large bowl until thick and smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the above mixture on low-speed, mixing until blended.
- Stir in apples and nuts, mixing well. Spread evenly in a 13×9 greased pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until set and golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- While blondies are baking, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and milk. Bring mixture just to a boil then remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in confectioner’s sugar and apple pie spice, mixing until smooth.
- Spread evenly over bars, making sure to wait until bars cool before frosting.
- Cut into bars or squares, and enjoy the sugar high!
I think it’s safe to say that Sunday was a cheat day, food wise. I did get my workout in though (thanks, Emily!).
#cheat day #sundayfunday #friendsgiving
Let’s just say I felt like I had to unbutton my pants all night. And they didn’t even have buttons.
If you are looking for a dessert to make for your Thanksgiving plans this year, this would be a great choice! Something different, a crowd pleaser, and these blondies were pretty easy to make too.
When’s the last time you had a cheat day? Are you baking for Thanksgiving this year?
Back on track today! As I always say, living a healthy lifestyle means being mindful of when you will have a “splurge” day. Not feeling guilty about it is so important, especially for your mental health. I fully embrace the 80/20 rule (the recommendation to focus 80% of your food choices coming from wholesome and nutritious foods, with 20% from the things you enjoy that might not be the absolute best for your body). I know when I have cheat days, I’m usually back to embracing that balance the next day.
That being said, it was greens for lunch today, and I plan on getting in a fab cardio sesh of my own in before subbing for Monique’s Dynamax class tonight. Heading to the gym now… can’t wait!