A couple of weekends ago, two of my friends were having fun fall get-togethers on the same day. Slesh was hosting an Oktoberfest, and Shannon was hosting a fall dinner party. I wanted to bring a dessert, and since I almost always default to making cupcakes of some sort I decided to bake a fall cookie instead.
By “a” fall cookie I mean three and a half dozens of fall cookies.
These were a huge hit at both events, so much that I’ve been getting texts asking me when I’m going to post the recipe!
“You know I love strength training and all… but when are we getting the COOKIE RECIPEEEEE 🙂 !! Need ASAP!” -Anonymous
Okay, okay! Here it is 🙂
Apple Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe inspired by SophistiMom
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 sticks unsalted room temperature butter (I substituted the equivalent of unsweetened applesauce here… warning: it takes some Google searching and math to figure that out. It’s too early to do that again so I’ll leave your little brains to do that if you want to substitute as well).
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4.5 cups quick oats
- 3 small apples, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt , and spices. Set aside.
- Beat butter (or applesauce) and sugars until fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in vanilla.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated. Remove mixer from the stand and stir in oatmeal, and apple chunks. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Use a spoon to drop golf ball sized dough onto the cookie sheet, keeping at least an inch and a half between each cookie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just turning golden brown.
If you are looking for a way to use up the rest of any apples you have stashed from fall apple picking, this is it!
What’s your favorite way to use apples after apple picking? Favorite kind of cookie? What’s your go to dessert to bring to a dinner party?
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for fitness mantra jewelry! Contest is open until Friday morning… just click over to this post to enter.
These look yummy! I love to make applesauce and apple crisp. So good warm.