I know Brussels sprouts and pomegranates were all the rage in December, but I’m not over either one yet.
I kind of feel sorry for Brussels sprouts. The get such a bad rap, don’t you think? I think it’s because when you take Brussels sprouts in a bag, and either boil them or microwave them, well, they’re pretty gross. Also, if you overcook them, they have a really strong and bitter taste. But when you take Brussels sprouts and cook them with other delicious things, they soak up the flavor of those other ingredients. And then they’re yummy. I think, anyways!
Brussels Sprouts With Pomegranates & Feta
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved with bottoms removed
- Seeds from one large pomegranate
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 ounce container of crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the shallots and Brussels sprouts in the olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread Brussels sprout and shallot mixture into a baking dish, and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Add pomegranate seeds and feta, mix all together, and voilà!
Tim and I made this as a vegetable side dish to bring to my parents’ house on Christmas Day. Don’t the Brussels sprouts look so festive next to the red pomegranates and the white feta cheese? The sweetness of the pomegranates added a nice contrast to the Brussels sprouts flavor, and of course feta makes everything better. Tim says he thinks we should have added bacon, so for all you bacon lovers out there, that’s something to consider. But I like this recipe just as is.
Are you a Brussels sprouts lover or hater? What are your favorite flavors to cook Brussels sprouts in?
I’m going to have my boys try brussels sprouts soon and when I saw this recipe I thought it looked awesome but that I might add bacon (then I saw that Tim thought the same thing)!!
Hi Kim, awesome! Let me know if you try it and how they like it. You could definitely add bacon, I just don’t love it. I’m the odd man out with that one, for sure!
I’m on a HUGE Brussels sprouts kick. Yours looks delicious!
Two of my favourite foods in one dish!! Brussels sprouts and pomegranates! Yum I’m totally trying this!
Brussels Sprouts have become one of my favorites recently. Thank you for this recipe. Can’t wait to try it tomorrow!
Hope you love it!
those sprouts look DELISH!