Here’s a little recipe for your Wednesday. Threw this little salad together on Sunday, and it’s been my lunch of choice this week.
Colorful Red Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Spices & herbs of choice
- Salt & pepper
- Cook quinoa per package directions (Bring 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes)
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large pan, then add minced garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms, sauté until tender (try to time so this step happens when quinoa is done cooking).
- Add quinoa to the oil/garlic/onion/shroom mix, then also add the chick peas, kidney beans, and tomato.
- Add spinach leaves, then rice vinegar, spices (I used basil, nutmeg, and garlic powder), and s&p.
- Stir all together for a few more minutes, then combine all into a big bowl.
It’s extra yummy if you top with feta cheese… obv. Today I’m trying with some shredded mozz and some grilled chicken pieces for an extra protein punch!
What are you having for lunch today? Do you usually have the same thing day to day, or week to week? Or do you like to switch it up? Do you pack your lunch ahead of time?
I’ve got a busy day at work ahead, but I already got my workout out of the way (proud of myself for making it to the gym this morning!) and I’m seeing my roommates tonight for more Katrina & Geoff celebrating. Yay!
This looks so good, but I would need more protein…let me know how it is with chicken and/or cheese!
Quinoa itself IS protein! Often mistaken for pasta/rice but it’s not. I had it with cheese every time, and today with chicken… you could do shrimp too I bet if you are into that! 🙂