Yesterday was my Papou’s 83rd birthday party. 83rd! Can you believe that? Anyways, my uncle asked if I could bring a salad to go along with the late lunch/early dinner. Of course! I gave another lettuce-less salad a shot.
Cucumber and Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Recipe inspired by EatingWell
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 6 cups peeled, chopped, and diced cucumber
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- Ground pepper to taste
Note — I increased several of these ingredients since I was bringing a salad to feed 11 people!
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, oregano and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
- Add cucumber, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, bell pepper, feta, and onion.
- Toss to coat.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Had to throw some feta in there to please the Greeks. I may or may not have used a little extra. You be the judge.
Speaking of Greeks, did anyone want anything from the Baklava Bonanza?
Finished product, BOOM..
Yummy flavor, and no need for extra dressing with the olive oil mixed in. Family? What did you think? Be nice.
I thought it went well with the other food for the day.
Uncle Dan’s shepherd pie and some cute little deli sandwiches:
And dessert, of course:
How cute is Papou?
My brother, Papou, me, and cousin Greg:
AND, check out this gem I stumbled upon. A little blast from the past.
Nice day with the fam!
Anyone ever make anything with black-eyed peas before? What else can I do with them?! Besides rock out in class of course.
Have a fabulous Sunday, all. Off to do some reading for class this week (!!!) and then family event #2 of the weekend later.