From my Fitness & Feta Facebook page: “It’s Monday! Time to get back on track. What are your nutrition and fitness goals this week!?”
I’m writing on my lunch break today as I try to get back on track after the fabulous weekend I spent being a tourist, eating, and catching up with two of my college dance friends in Washington DC. If you were wondering why I haven’t posted in a few days, this is why! Erin and I took a much-needed girls getaway to visit Meg at her apartment in DC and we had quite the fun-filled weekend. Here’s a quick glance at what kept me busy in DC this weekend, in no particular order!
- The Museum of Crime & Punishment
- The National Archives, specifically the new exhibit on the Government’s Effect on the American Diet
- The Monuments (at night!), including the new Martin Luther King memorial.
- The National Book Festival (perfect for three English majors)
- The Smithsonian National Museum of American History where we saw the First Ladies exhibit, Julia Child’s kitchen, the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz, Michael Jackson’s hat, a whole history of birth control, and lots of other cool things!
- A private tour of Fox Studios DC, where Meg now works for her new job! So proud 🙂
- AMC Loews Georgetown, where we saw Contagion and were totally creeped out
- Some shopping
- The 9/11 Pentagon Memorial
- A lazy Sunday afternoon watching Bridesmaids
- PLENTY of food and drinks between the awesome breakfast foods Meg had for us, Friday lunch at Chophouse Brewery, Friday dinner at Martin’s Tavern, Saturday lunch at Old Glory BBQ, drinks at PS7 lounge, a late Saturday night dinner at Ming’s Restaurant in Chinatown, Sunday morning brunch at Busboys & Poets, and some pizza ordered before our flight home from some place I don’t remember.
I was a little skeptical at first of standing in this humongous line just to get a cupcake, but let me tell you that as DC’s destination for designer cupcakes, it was totally worth it.
From the website: “Georgetown Cupcake was founded by sisters Katherine Kallinis and Sophie LaMontagne. Katherine and Sophie traded careers in fashion and private equity to pursue something a little sweeter — their passion for artful cupcakes. Both lifelong bakers, inspired by their grandmothers, Katherine and Sophie opened Georgetown Cupcake in February 2008 as DC’s first and only cupcakery. Watch Katherine and Sophie in action in DC CUPCAKES, their new TV series on TLC! Check out their new book available November 8th — The Cupcake Diaries: Recipes and Memories from the Sisters of Georgetown Cupcake.”
Look at how unbelievable all these cupcakes look!
There are certain flavors available on the menu every day, then there are daily specials, and they also have a fantastic seasonal selection. September’s included Caramel Apple, Apple Cinnamon, and the Labor Day Cupcakes. Not gonna lie, I’m really considering ordering October’s Pumpkin Spice for cross-country delivery around Halloween. I bet it’s awesome.
It took me a long time to decide, but I finally went with:
- A seasonal Apple Cinnamon: Fresh apple cinnamon cupcake topped with a cinnamon buttercream frosting and fondant red apple
- Mint Cookies & Creme: Madagascar bourbon vanilla cupcake baked with Oreo crumbles topped with a mint Oreo crumble-infused buttercream frosting
- Milk Chocolate Birthday: Classic Madagascar Bourbon vanilla cake topped with a milk chocolate buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles
Whoops, I got three. It was cool to see the cupcake-making in action while we were waiting for our order:
We were really excited about our selections, so we asked a policeman standing nearby to take our picture:
We held onto those boxes for dear life as we continued our day. Once we were back at Meghan’s apartment after our day of fun, we were super pumped to dive into our goodies!
I decided to go with the Apple Cinnamon first. What a treat 🙂
Then we got silly and decided to snap pictures of the whole Georgetown Cupcake eating process.
I’m sure these had barely any caloric intake, right!? I was okay with it. Remember, it’s good to treat yourself every now and then! Since I let myself have these yummy sweets this weekend, I’m willing to bet I won’t crave them for a while! And since I let myself indulge, I feel extra excited for the workouts I have planned for the week as well as some healthy meals I have in mind to try.
Question of the Day: What is the best cupcake you’ve ever had?!
The DC cupcakes ladies are related to my coworker! She gets cupcakes mailed up to her in RI for every holiday/birthday- awesome, right?!
She is so lucky!
Magnolia Bakery, NYC! Definitely worth standing in line for their cupcakes and muffins.
The BEST, hmmm I have to say KickA$$ Cupcakes in Davis Square, Somerville, MA!
Such a great recap of our fun girls weekend 🙂 I wish we could have stayed longer!