It’s only Tuesday!?
I know that I’m still feeling the after effects of the long weekend. Anyone else!?
I know that I definitely splurged this past weekend, and I’m willing to bet I’m not the only one! Although I stuck to my goal of limiting desserts and successfully avoiding seconds on Thanksgiving, and I also got a good workout in on Friday, I definitely went out to eat too many times throughout the rest of the weekend and indulged in a drinking night out on Saturday. Which then resulted in late night pizza and not so healthy food choices on Sunday. Anyone else feeling like they are also in a bit of a post holiday food & fitness rut and looking for help getting back to the grind?
One of the biggest pieces of advice I can offer you all is to set yourselves up for a successful food & fitness week.
At the beginning of the week, map out what your food & fitness plans will be. For instance, on Monday or Tuesday hit up the grocery store and stock up on lean proteins, produce, and whole grains. For those of us that have eaten a few too many carbs, try to avoid falling into a “white carb trap” and opt for some high fiber or green veggie snacks instead. Do NOT do a crazy detox or a fad diet! Just eat simply and lightly, drink plenty of water, and try to keep moving! I find that on those weeks I work my exercise plans into my schedule, I’m less likely to skip the gym. Same with food. Map out what you will eat and hold yourself accountable!
And please, for God’s sake, eat carbs! Just make them good ones.
For example, yesterday I planned my food ahead of time:
- Pre-Physical Therapy Snack: Half a Clif Bar
- Breakfast: Low fat cottage cheese with cinnamon and blueberries
- Lunch: Spinach greens topped with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, shredded carrots, broccoli, mozzarella cheese, and leftover pulled pork with a light balsamic vinaigrette dressing. On the side? A black cherry Chobani yogurt.
- Early Afternoon Snack: Banana
- Late Afternoon Snack: Apple
- Dinner: Leftover wood grilled chicken, red onion, green pepper, mozzarella cheese, and garden vegetable hummus wrapped in a whole wheat wrap.
Lesson learned: Take into account that your stomach WILL be expanded from said holiday weekend and planned food will not be enough. Insert – second half of the Clif Bar and more blueberries as a late late afternoon snack, and some wheat thins after dinner.
And my workout schedule this week will be:
- Monday: Physical therapy in the morning (upper body work), 6:30 pm spin class
- Tuesday: Teach my 7:35pm Circuit Training class
- Wednesday: 6:30 pm spin class, post spin ab routine
- Thursday: Teach my 6:00am Circuit Training class
- Friday: Morning elliptical session
- Saturday: Off
- Sunday: Off
Your turn to set yourself up for success! What are your week’s food & fitness plans to get yourselves back on track?
BTC: For an exciting weekend coming up!